2014 MTV EMA TO SALUTE SONGS THAT INSPIRE AND EMPOWER YOUNG PEOPLE
WITH BRAND NEW CATEGORY: ‘BEST SONG WITH A MESSAGE’
SOCIAL VOTE NOW OPEN ACROSS INSTAGRAM, TWITTER AND VINE
MTV (DStv channel 130) and MTV Base (DStv Channel 322) have this week revealed that global superstar Enrique Iglesias will be performing at the 2014 MTV EMA, one of the biggest global music events of the year that celebrates the hottest artists from around the world. Iglesias revealed the news to his fans this morning via his social media accounts. In addition, MTV has unveiled a new, socially-focused award category for the 2014 MTV EMA, Best Song with a Message, which recognises songs that have an empowering impact on young people, tackling important issues they care about and inspiring them to have a social conscience.
The 2014 MTV EMA in association with Smirnoff Ice Double Black with Guarana will broadcast live from the SSE Hydro in Glasgow on MTV and MTV Base on Sunday 9 November at 22:00 CAT.
The 2014 nominees for Best Song with a Message are:
“We Exist” – Arcade Fire, which addresses gender identity
“We Are Here” – Alicia Keys, a cry for an end to violence around the world and an ode to our shared humanity
“Take Me to Church” – Hozier, which discusses homophobia and reclaiming humanity through an act of love
“Pretty Hurts” – Beyoncé, an examination of our appearance-obsessed world and the negative impact people’s sense of self-worth
“All About That Bass” – Meghan Trainor, an anthem to self-acceptance and inner beauty
- Following his MTV EMA performance, Iglesias will embark on the European leg of his Sex and Love world tour. For tour information go to enriqueiglesias.com.
- Enrique Iglesias is nominated for Best World Stage and after being named 2014 MTV EMA Best Spanish Act now has the opportunity to be voted into the prestigious Worldwide Act award category.
- The winner of Best Song with a Message will be revealed on 9 November during the live broadcast of the 2014 MTV EMA.
- The Best Song with a Message category is exclusively sponsored by Someone Like Me, a global sex education campaign partnership between Durex and the MTV Staying Alive Foundation.
- Fans can vote on Instagram, Twitter, and Vine for their favourite Best Song with a Message by using the following hashtags: #WeExistEMA, #WeAreHereEMA, #TakeMeToChurchEMA, #PrettyHurtsEMA, #AllAboutThatBassEMA.
- Global hip hop superstar Nicki Minaj is set to host the 2014 MTV EMA.
- Calvin Harris, Charli XCX, Kiesza, Royal Blood, Ariana Grande, Ed Sheeran and Nicki Minaj have been previously confirmed to perform at the 2014 MTV EMA.
- British rock legend Ozzy Osbourne will be honoured with the Global Icon Award and will be in Glasgow to accept his award.
- Fans can vote now for their favourite artists at com. Voting closes on 8 November at 11:59pm CET.
The MTV EMA – MTV’s global celebration of the hottest stars in music – recognizes artists from around the world and across genres, and brings together music fans everywhere for a one-of-a-kind experience in the weeks leading up to and at the show. The 2014 MTV EMA marks the first time that the show will be held in Glasgow, Scotland, and has received support from Glasgow City Marketing Bureau and EventScotland.
Bruce Gillmer and Richard Godfrey are Executive Producers for the 2014 MTV EMA.